Chita is an administrative center of Zabaykal region. The city is located where the Chita River flows into Ingoda River.
1653 is considered to be the year of foundation of Chita. The village of Chita became the city in 1851.
The industry, especially food industry and energy engineering, is well developed in Chita.
The city has a lot of sights. The Church of Decembrists museum is the oldest building of Chita. The Archangel Michael wooden church was built in 1776. The Decembrists Annenkov and Gebl as well as Zavalishin and Smolyaninova have got married in this church. The museum was opened here in 1985. More than 870 exhibits are featured within these walls.
Shumov’s palace, which is one of the most beautiful buildings of Chita, is located on Lenin Street. The palace richly decorated by stucco molding was built in 1914. Today the Russian FSB is located in it.
The Kazan cathedral church, which is the main temple of Chita and whole Zabaykal eparchy, is located on Butin Street. The church was constructed in 2004. This is the five-dome temple with the attached belltower built in the Vladimir-Suzdalian style. The Kazan cathedral has 13 bells, the main of them weighs 10 tons.
The Chita datsan is located on Bogomyagkov Street. This is the Buddhist monastery and university which was constructed in the city in 2010. Datsan is the two-storeyed building with a hall for prayers situated on the first floor. The special room for the spirit protecting the temple is located on the second floor. Architecture of datsan shows the influence of three styles – Tibetan, Buryat and Russian.
Judges of cultural rest may visit the Chita regional drama theater. Its history is rather interesting: one of the Kuibyshev (Samara now) theaters went on tour to Chita in 1939 and stayed here to work. The repertoire of Drama Theater is various. Not only classical, but also modern dramatic art is presented here.
The Chita regional art museum located on Chkalov Street is also worthy of attention. It was founded in 1981. The first and second floors of the building are devoted to various exhibitions. Static exposition is situated on the third floor. Here there are more than 6000 showpieces. There are such collections as: "Painting of artists of Siberia and Far East of 20th century", "The Russian engraving of 17th-20th centuries", "The bone-carving art of the northern people" and others.
On July 8, 2011, in the Family Day, the new square was opened in the city. The sculptural composition "Love and Faith" has been established here. A Tree of Happiness is located near the sculpture. The territory of the square is paved by granite.